|Posted by firstname.lastname@example.org on July 28, 2020 at 12:20 AM|
Workout Etiquette During the COVID Pandemic
Guest Writer: Ms. Donna Riley
Since the health clubs and gyms have received the green light to reopen in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic there are some new rules that have been put into place. Many clubs have spaced out there machines in order to adapt to the social distance rules, and depending on the club there may be other requirements you will have to adopt and you may want to contact them before you go, and as always be sure to pack your manners when you pack your gym bag. The following workout tips, when followed, will ensure a pleasant workout experience every time.
A dose of good manners helps any workout!
Be considerate of the equipment
- It is important to share the equipment especially if the gym is crowded. Be sure to use it expeditiously, but carefully, and move on. Don't forget to wipe down the equipment. Avoid using towels to hold your space on equipment and don't hog equipment with prolonged rest periods. Be willing to vary your routine if necessary and never jump in front of someone just because that machine is next in your pre-planned routine. Wait or go to another machine until the other is free.
- Since we must share the equipment, we must take care of it and sanitize it. Don't slam the weights and be sure to re-rack or replace free weights . Also, bring a towel to wipe machines and weights after using them. No one else should be left to wipe away your perspiration.
Be considerate of others
- Many people go to health clubs to socialize and to meet new friends. This is perfectly all right as long as you are not tying up equipment while taking your conversation break. Be conscious not to sit on machines or hold onto weights you're not using. Others may be waiting to use them.
- Never count reps out loud. You may break the concentration of others around you. If you carry a towel, water bottle, workout log, chart or gym bag with you, keep them out of the way while working out.
- Never jump into an exercise class that is already underway. You may jump into someone else's spot or you may risk injury by not warming up properly. In addition you may have also missed specific instructions.
- When working with a personal trainer, be sure to respect the time allotted for you. If you are running late, be sure to give a courtesy call. If you are going to miss your scheduled session, kindly give a minimum of 24 hours notice.
To the health club /gym staff
- When recruiting perspective members, be upfront! Do not make an inaccurate statements about the services you offer if they don't exist. Also, be genuinely courteous and helpful to your members. Observe to make sure they are exercising correctly to avoid injuries, and following the social distance rules.
- Be sure to service your equipment regularly to prevent major breakdowns and prolonged out of order problems.
- If everyone works together unselfishly, staff, trainers and members a like will ensure a fabulous workout experience. Have fun, stay fit, stay safe and may all your workouts be pleasurable!
Please share with us more tips for workout etiquette during the pandemic. Stay safe!